Letterboxing Supplies

February 2, 2009

We were introduced to letterboxing by friends several years ago. Here's a look at our first letterboxing experience. It's a great activity for all ages.Winter (in the South) is our favorite time of year for letterboxing (not so hot and not so many bugs or snakes!). We pulled our letterboxing supplies out this weekend. Here's a look:

One small notebook
One homemade stamp (made by Noah)
One ink pad
One pen

And the only thing left is to do a search for a letterbox. You can find one here or here. We try to pack our letterboxing kit with us when we travel because it can turn into quite a memorable adventure plus it's a good way to see things that might be off the beaten trail. Just type in your desired location and find a letterbox that sounds interesting. Note that some are more appropriate for younger children (easier clues), some are riddles, and some are no longer active. Also be sure to read or print out these guidelines before getting started.
In addition to the thrill of finding the boxes, we also love seeing the stamps inside the boxes (many are handmade and specific to the location of the box) and the books filled with other letterboxers' stamps and notes. After discovering a box, we carefully open it up. We use our ink pad to stamp our family letterbox book with our newly discovered box stamp. I will usually write a small note to remember the day...details about the location, who was with us, anything funny that happened while searching, etc. We then use the ink pad again to leave our mark in the box's book along with a note (including the date and our names). We carefully wrap everything back up and replace the box in the same spot so other letterboxers can discover it. You can make your own stamp using these guidelines or these,too. Or you can use a store bought stamp that has some significance to your family.
And a few pics from this weekend's successful letterboxing adventure:
Lori said...

we really to try this! :^D)

Dawn Suzette said...

Looks like tons of fun! I am going to see if they have anything in Nova Scotia!
Thanks for sharing. The kids look super happy to be out there!

Dawn Suzette said...

Oh, I just checked! They have all kinds around Nova Scotia. Might have to wait for all the snow to melt! Thanks for another way to explore the new territory!

Unknown said...

Hi and thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your multi-cultural family and the creative things you do with them. As far as Sicily guidebooks, I previously depended on my husband who is from here, but I recently invested in two: Blue Guide to Sicily because I am interested in historical details, and Walking in Sicily, which covers many different hikes all over the island and I haven't actually used yet but am greatly inspired by! The preschool is Montessori. My son is only 20 months, but they spend 1 hour a morning dedicated to so-called Montessori activities. My son seems to love the structure and the calm, loving atmosphere. He is very active and curious but will sit down at a table for short periods of time and focus on an activity. Most of the other kids who have been attending for quite some time do sit and play happily for long periods of time. The point is to respect the child as an individual and find the activity that will engage him according to his interests and developmental needs. I like the focus on respect, sharing and love and the overall vibe of the place. I imagine all these things are individual so you will have to see how your school goes. Sorry for this long comment, but hope it is helpful!

Anonymous said...

what is the difference between letterboxing and geocaching?

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Letterboxing doesn't use a gps system, but I am pretty sure geocaching does. I've never tried geocaching so I could be wrong. I think there was a fair amount of geocaching in Okinawa while we were there but I am not sure about letterboxing...let me know if you guys try it!

holly b said...

very fun! we've done geocaching before (with our GPS unit) and it sounds very similar. I like the stamping aspect to it more than the trinkets with geocaching. you don't have to come up with a new trinket, you can just use the same stamp and notebook. we once took one we found in Oregon all the way to Maryland or maybe it was the other way around!

I looked on the website and there aren't many very close by. but we can travel right?? or make our own! : )

Corinne said...

I've been reading about this for years, I need to just DO IT. I think my kids would love it!

Jackie said...

I've never even heard of this! And I just checked, there are some in our neighbourhood! What fun. Thanks so much for sharing this!
: )
jackie

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.